Sage ACT! has 2 products, Pro and Premium, and we are always asked by potential customers which product is right for their business.
Sage publishes the below image to outline the product differences, but we want to provide more information to compare and contrast the products and features.
So to assist in selecting the right product for your business below are 7 things to know before you buy:
1. The number of active users is a determining factor, the Pro product has a limitation of 10 active users in a database. This means if you have more than 10 users you will need the Premium product. If you purchase the Pro product and need to add the 11th user or more you will need to purchase Premium upgrade licenses for the existing Pro licenses – provided your are within Sage’s Upgrade Policy. Therefore, if your business is growing it would make sense to purchase the Premium product over the Pro at the on-set.
2. The Pro product has Windows only licensing, Premium has dual licensing for both Windows & Web (including Web Mobile) access. Sage ACT! Premium allows you to do your own web hosting (without the monthly fees of other competing products) where you can deploy the web product with database access through your intranet or internet. With Sage ACT! Premium Mobile you can travel light and stay connected by accessing your Sage ACT! Premium contact, calendar and opportunity (with the release of Sage ACT! Premium 2013) details from your iPhone®, iPad® or Android™ device.
3. The Premium product has Field Level Security that allows you to limit the access to certain Contact, Opportunity, Group and Company fields by users and teams. You can grant full access to those that need to update the field information, read only to those that need to see the information but cannot change the data, or no access to a field which means they cannot see the field within the database or reports. This is a valuable feature if your business works with social security numbers, credit card information or other sensitive data.
4. The Premium product has Record Level Security that allows you to limit the access to Contact, Opportunity, Group and Company records by users and teams. This is a powerful feature if you want your salespeople to see only their records, sales managers being able to see the records for their direct reports, by territories or if you want to divide the records by different departments or job responsibilities.
5. Both the Pro and Premium products have the database synchronization feature in which you can create remote databases that synchronize to your master database for disconnected/offline data access. The Pro Product only allows Application Synchronization which means that when a remote synchronizes to the master the ACT! program needs to be open and logged into master database – this is not ideal if the master database is hosted on a server or an unattended machine. The Premium product comes with Synchronization Services (network and internet) which allow the synchronization to occur without the ACT! program being open, the service runs on a host machine/server and listens for the synchronization connection.
6. The Dashboard is available in both products but the Pro version has a limitation of being only able to view the current user activity and opportunity information, filtering for a different user or multiple users is not an option. With the Premium product you can create Dashboard with multi-user, team, territory, region, and/or department views.
7. With the Premium product network users have an additional feature of being able to include other users and resources in their activity scheduling and checking on their availability. This is a helpful feature if your business has meetings or calls with your customers or prospects that involves more than one of your users of ACT!.
Bonus Item: Sage ACT! Premium vs. Sage ACT! Premium with SQL 2008
There are no feature differences between the Premium product and the Premium with SQL 2008. The only difference is that the the Premium will install SQL 2008 Express as the database engine and the Premium with SQL 2008 will install SQL 2008 Standard as the database engine. There are no forced metrics as to when to select the Premium with SQL 2008 but a general guideline is Premium with SQL 2008 is preferable when you have 20 or more concurrent network users or more than 100,000 Contact Records.
You can purchase the latest Sage ACT! CRM Software products with current discounts and promotions from our Sage ACT! eStore at www.actplatinum.com and if you have any additional questions please send us a Contact Us form.